On a glimpse
Distance walked: 10.2 Km / 6.33 Mi
Duration (actual walking time): ~ 2h
Ascent – Descent: 408 – 317 m / 1,339 ft
Elevation at start: 847 m / 2,779 ft
Top elevation: 1,226 m / 4,022 ft
Check map, route and more data here
Environment: dirt roads and trails among coffee forest. Mostly shady.
Highlights: miradores overlooking the city, fumaroles. Just minutes from San Salvador.
Ecoparque El Espino is large coffee plantation run by a farmer’s cooperative on the slopes of San Salvador volcano, with a great network of trails and facilities to make hiking fun and easy. You can customize your experience with a shorter and easier hike. Ideal for beginners, children and all the family.
Mix and Match
The Ecoparque is very close from the city which makes it perfect for a morning hike. After you can combine it with any of the following optional activities:
- El Tunco beach is on a short distance. You can mix mountain and beach in one day. Surfing lessons or practice available on request.
- Feeling thirsty after the hike? Enjoy your lunch and taste authentic Salvadoran craft beer at Cadejo. Here you can choose among many styles. And, yes, they serve samplers.
- San Salvador city is guarded by this magnificent volcano. Learn the history and the stories that build this city up and the people who made it in a City Tour.
- Museums such Museo de Arte, National Museum of Anthropology; Tin Marín, The Children’s Museum. The Word and Picture Museum (historical) or the Botanical Garden (note all museums are closed on Monday).
- The people of El Salvador has been living in the shade of active volcanoes for centuries. In Joya de Cerén you’ll know how was a common day on the life of a group of farmers during the Classic Period of the maya, that were surprised by an eruption, preserving their village under volcanic ash for 1,400 years. Complete your day with San Andrés Archaeological Park (note all archaeological parks are closed on Monday).