Walk the Guerrillero’s Trail in Guazapa, an extinct volcano that was a stronghold of the rebel forces during 80’s Civil War. Along the trail you’ll see remains of this violent times: bomb craters, shelters carved in the ground, campsites and clandestine cemeteries. Don’t be surprised if your local guide is a former guerrilla fighter, happy to share stories with you.
It’s hike across farms, forest, dense vegetation, creeks and some dirt roads. Some few steep sections but mostly rugged terrain.
Distance walked: 12.4 Km / 7.7 Mi
Duration (actual walking time): ~ 3h30m – 4h
Ascent – Descent: 460 – 354 m / 1509 – 1161 ft
Elevation at start: 363 m / 1191 ft
Top elevation: 736 m / 2415 ft
Check map, route and more data here
Environment: rural road among farms mixed with dense vegetation. Partially shaded, mostly on open spaces. Warm most of the times.
Highlights: old clandestine cemeteries, tunnels and trenches used during the war. Your guide may be a former guerrilla fighter.
Mix and Match
Guazapa is close to other interesting spots the will make your day into an unforgettable experience
- Suchitoto: one of the most popular tourist destinations in El Salvador: a beautiful small city with rich colonial-style architecture. Here you can find good places to eat and explore the city and its stories.
- Cihuatán, the largest archaeological park in the country (note all archaeological parks are closed on Monday).
- Boat ride on Suchitlán. A Ramsar Site and the only man-made lake in the country.
- Private transportation in comfortable vehicle with A/C
- Licensed Tour Guide
- Local guide
- Guided hike
- Purified water
- Extra drinks or meals
- Tips for local guide
- Personal expenses / Souvenirs