The second widest crater of any volcano in El Salvador known as El Boquerón (the Big Mouth) with near 1600 m / 1 mile across. A well marked trail circles the rim of this big crater into the cloud forest and flowers plantations. Views to Zapotitán valley, El Bálsamo mountain range and the volcanic belt. Pleasant hike for a morning or to mix with some other destination (see below).
On a glance
Distance walked: 6.6 Km / 4.1 Mi
Duration (actual walking time): ~ 2h 30m
Ascent – Descent: 170 – 176 m / 558 – 577 ft
Elevation at start: 1815 m / 5955 ft
Top elevation: 1890 m / 6200 ft
Environment: Cloud forest, evergreen trees, mid-sized bushes.
Trail mostly shaded. Flat to moderate slopes. Some scrambling in few sections.
Highlight: El Boquerón National Park is very close from San Salvador. This is a perfect option if you’re looking for an easy and short hike.
Mix and Match
Wanting to explore more? No problema amigo! Pick one of the options below to make your experience more memorable.
- El Tunco beach is on a short distance. You can mix mountain and beach in one day. Surfing lessons or practice available on request.
- Feeling thirsty after the hike? Enjoy your lunch and taste authentic Salvadoran craft beer at Cadejo. Here you can choose among many styles. And, yes, they serve samplers.
- San Salvador city is guarded by this magnificent volcano. Learn the history and the stories that build this city up and the people who made it in a City Tour.
- The people of El Salvador has been living in the shade of active volcanoes for centuries. In Joya de Cerén you’ll know how was a common day on the life of a group of farmers during the Classic Period of the Maya, that were surprised by an eruption, preserving their village under volcanic ash for 1,400 years. Complete your day with San Andrés Archaeological Park
- Private transportation in vehicle with A/C.
- Licensed Tour Guide
- Guided hike iEl Boquerón, San Salvador volcano
- Local taxes
- WiFi via Hot Spot (mobile network)
- Drinks or meals.
- Personal expenses / Souvenirs