With 2,381 m (7,811 ft) Santa Ana volcano this is the tallest in the country. You reach the rim of this massive crater from with old lava flows, ash layers from countless eruptions and a turquoise sulfur-acid crater lake at the bottom.
Walk in the lush cloud forest to volcanic wasteland, enjoying some of the most spectacular views of the volcanic belt. One of the most rewarding hikes in the country to one of the most active volcanoes in El Salvador.
On a glance
Distance walked: 7.5 Km / 4.7 Mi
Duration (actual walking time): ~ 3h
Ascent – Descent: 478 – 400 m / 1568 – 1312 ft
Elevation at start: 1820 m / 5971 ft
Top elevation: 2295 m / 7530 ft
Check an animated video of the route here
Mix and Match
- Dare to reach the top earlier than anyone else and watch the sun rising over the Zapotitán valley and Coatepeque lake below. Not to be missed! For a one of kind experience you can spend the night camping on the skirts of the volcano.
- Feeling more adventurous? You can start the hike from Cerro Verde visitors centre. This adds 3 Km (2 Mi) and 1 hour of walking so, at the end of the day, you made two volcanoes.
- Soaring muscles after the hike? What about an afternoon resting in a private estate by the shore of Coatepeque lake? Here you can use the facilities such as hammocks in the shade of the trees, neat gardens, sun deck or kayaks.
- Private transportation in comfortable vehicle with A/C.
- Licensed Tour Guide
- Local Guide
- Guided hike
- Admissions to Natural Reserve
- Purified water
- Local taxes
- Extra drinks or Meals
- Personal expenses
Monday to Wednesday:
9:00 AM - Departure from San Salvador
10:30 AM - Start hiking
12:30 PM - We reach the crater
2:30 PM - Hike's over. Good job!
4:00 - Return to San Salvador
Thursday to Sunday:
7:00 AM - Departure from San Salvador
8:30 AM - Start hiking
10:00 PM - We reach the crater
12:30 PM - Hike's over. Good job!
2:00 - Return to San Salvador