A short hike to a series of waterfalls, ponds and pools in El Bálsamo Mountain Range. Fresh waters from a nearby spring with ponds to jump in. The “shortest” waterfall is 8 mt. high and there’s few more even taller. Perfect for a morning hike. This stream of water crosses lush vegetation and gorges reaching the coast below, near El Sunzal beach.
On the afternoon, relax on the black-sanded beaches of El Tunco or El Zonte. This two beaches, few kilometers away one another, are famous for world-class surfing, Warm waters and excellent cuisine. Enjoy a coco helado, a cold beer or the local seafood delicacies.
On a glance
Distance walked: 3.5 Km / 2.2 Mi
Duration (actual walking time): ~ 1h 30m
Ascent – Descent: 284 – 258 m / 932 – 846 ft
Elevation at start: 551 m / 1808 ft
Lowest elevation: 345 m / 1132 ft
Environment: some cobblestoned road, crops and forest down into the gore. Mostly shaded.
Highlights: ponds with cool waters to jump in.
Mix and Match
Las Cascadas de Tamanique are located on a short distance from San Salvador and the beach! Find the activity to make your day double fun.
- El Tunco beach: Here you can mix hiking and beach in one day. Surfing lessons or practice available on request (El Zonte beach also available).
- Feeling thirsty after the hike? Enjoy your lunch and taste authentic Salvadoran craft beer at Cadejo La Libertad. Here you can choose among many styles while watching the waves crashing below you. And, yes, they serve samplers.
TOTAL TOUR DURATION: 8 HOURS
AVAILABLE EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. AM DEPARTURES ONLY
- Private transporta in vehicle with A/C.
- Licensed Tour Guide
- Local guide
- Guided hike to the waterfalls
- Time for lunch at El Tunco
- Local taxes
- WiFi via Hot Spot (mobile network)
- Drinks or meals
- Personal expenses / Souvenirs
- Tips for local guide